What Causes Acne?
Acne is caused by excess oil, dirt, debris, and dead skin cells plugging up your pores. The clogged pores can turn into acne blemishes, including whiteheads, blackheads, and painful cystic acne. Acne can also be caused by diet sensitivities, including dairy products, stress, and taking some medications including corticosteroids.
Body Areas Affected by Acne
Acne can affect various areas of your body, especially the areas where you have the most oil glands, including your:
● Upper back
What To Do for Mild Acne
You may be able to treat mild acne yourself, by keeping your skin clean and using over-the-counter acne products.
When to Visit Your Dermatologist at A to Z Dermatology
You should visit A to Z Dermatology in Chandler, Mesa, Sun City, Casa Grande, or Gold Canyon, AZ if:
● Your acne doesn’t respond to over-the-counter products
● Your acne breakouts are more severe and more frequent
● You have painful cystic acne
● Your acne is affecting your self-esteem and self-confidence
Treatment Options for Acne
The acne treatment plans available at A to Z Dermatology focus on clearing up your existing acne, preventing new acne breakouts, and reducing your risk factors for long-term acne scars.
Common professional treatments for acne include:
● Accutane, which increases cell turnover to help shed dead skin cells quickly. Accutane also can reduce oil gland production and oil gland size by up to 90%. These properties can help unclog pores, reducing acne breakouts.
● Tretinoin products, clear out material blocking your pores, to eliminate blackheads and whiteheads
● Topical and oral antibiotics, are an excellent treatment option if you have cystic acne, which is caused by an underlying bacterial infection. Antibiotics kill the underlying bacteria infecting your pores.
● CO2 Fractional Laser which uses heat and light to kill the underlying bacteria causing acne
What You Need to Know about Acne Scarring and Acne Scarring Treatment
Acne may leave scars on your skin. At A to Z Dermatology, acne scarring can be treated with a wide variety of options. Your dermatologist may recommend:
● Chemical peels, which remove the outer layers of your skin to treat acne and improve the appearance of acne scars
● Intense pulsed light (IPL) facials, use broad-spectrum light to treat acne and improve the texture of your skin.
● MicroPen Elite Facials, use a microneedling device to create small wounds in your skin. The microdamage promotes collagen production. The new collagen fills in areas of recessed acne scars to improve the appearance of your skin.
● Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) uses your body's own plasma to repair microdamage to repair scarring and restore skin texture
Want To Know More?
To find out more about acne and acne scarring treatment, talk with the experts. Call the dermatologists at A to Z Dermatology. You can reach them in any of their five convenient office locations in Chandler, Mesa, Sun City, Casa Grande, or Gold Canyon, AZ, by calling (480) 982-3337, so call today.