Hair Loss Q&A
Causes of Hair Loss
Hair loss can be a temporary or permanent condition, depending on its cause. Both men and women can experience thinning hair or hair loss because of hormonal changes, underlying medical conditions, or the natural aging process. If you are dealing with hair loss, contact the team at A to Z Dermatology in Chandler, Mesa, Sun City, Casa Grande, or Gold Canyon, AZ.
Other common causes of hair loss include:
● Nutrient deficiencies
● Thyroid issues
● Autoimmune conditions
● Chronic diseases
● Certain medications
Excessive use of styling products can also potentially contribute to premature hair loss.
Risk Factors for Hair Loss
If you have a family history of hair loss, you might be at increased risk for developing male or female-pattern baldness as you get older, starting with a receding hairline that progresses to more noticeable bald spots.
Diagnosing Hair Loss
To determine the root cause of your hair loss, the team at A to Z Dermatology starts by reviewing your personal and family medical history, your lifestyle, your diet, and the medications you take. They might also order blood tests to identify underlying medical conditions that affect the health of your hair. In some cases, the team might scrape a sample of your skin or pluck hairs for further examination under a microscope.
Treatment of Hair Loss
Treatment for hair loss depends on the degree and cause of hair loss. For mild hair loss, your dermatologist may recommend:
● Over-the-counter or prescription topical medications that you apply to your scalp
● Medicated shampoos and other topical products
● Products to protect your new hair growth and prevent further hair loss
If your hair loss is associated with an underlying medical condition, you might need to see your primary care physician for a referral to a specialist. For moderate to severe hair loss or alopecia, your dermatologist at A to Z Dermatology may recommend:
● Platelet Rich Plasma, also known as PRP, which promotes the regrowth of hair by re-injection of the patient’s own plasma
● Stem cell treatments, which can be combined with PRP to repair hair follicles and promote growth of new hair
● Medications, including Olumiant to modify immune system activity and promote hair regrowth in cases of alopecia
Want To Know More?
To discover more about the causes and treatments of hair loss, call the dermatologists at A to Z Dermatology. You can reach them in any of their five convenient office locations in Chandler, Mesa, Sun City, Casa Grande, or Gold Canyon, AZ, by calling (480) 982-3337, so call today.